If you are planning to develop a lush lawn, you’ll have to water and fertilize on regular basis. To do that, you’ve to ensure that the required nutrients are reaching out to grass because that’s the only way for it to grow quickly. This is what aeration does. It provides the path to the nutrients so that they may get to the roots. When thatch gets thick, it restricts water, nutrients, and air from reaching the grass. As a result of this, grass doesn’t grow as much as it is supposed to be.
Let’s see why aeration is important and how you can do it.
How is the Aeration done?
Aeration involves the making of small holes in the lawn’s surface to make a pathway for air, water, and other nutrients to pass through. Aeration is vital for the growth of grass and can make the lawn in your home in Albuquerque look a lot better.
The main aim of aeration is to reduce or end the hardness of soil present in the lawn. If the soil is compact, it doesn’t let the nutrients get close to grass and ultimately the lawn doesn’t seem to look healthy. So, the organic matter at the top of it must be reduced in order to ensure the betterment of your lawn.
How to Know if your Lawn requires aeration?
You may not actually know when your lawn requires aeration. For that, you’ve to take a look at the following things:
- If you let your kids or pets play there, they may leave it in the condition that it’ll require a good aeration session.
- If there is some construction work going on in your house, the soil and footwork over it will take the greenery of the grass for which you’ll have to aerate it.
- Thatching is one of the main issues that a lawn may face. You just have to dig a hole in the lawn and see if the depth of that is close to 1-inch. If it’s, provide it with an aeration session as soon as possible.
- The layer formed at the lawn surface between grass and soil is of the organic matter that is decomposing and is often said to as Thatching. When this thatch gets thick, it restricts water, nutrients, and air from reaching the grass. As a result of this, grass doesn’t grow as much as it is supposed to be. Aeration helps to reduce the build-up of these thatches and results in dethatching due to which grass gets water and air. Ultimately, it starts to grow better and quicker.
What’s the best time to aerate your lawn?
During the time of growth of your lawn, aeration must be done to avoid so many problems. Also, after the aeration, the roots grow faster. That’s why most professionals recommend doing it in the second half of spring. However, the time may vary depending on the type of grass.
Is a Spike aerator better for aeration or a plug aerator?
Two main types of aerators include a Spike aerator and a plug aerator. A spike aerator tends to create a hole into the soil directly. The sandals available for such kind of aeration are used by most homeowners when they perform some yard work. For small homes that don’t have a huge lawn, this kind of technique is the best.
For the Plug aerator, different rows of hollow tines are used for removing the plugs of soil from the lawn. The size and width of the plug, as well as the hole, will depend on the machine you are using for this purpose. Moreover, don’t forget to read all the instructions carefully before using any of the above-mentioned machines. Also, you may or may not find these in your local stores. But if you don’t, order them online and use them for the betterment of your lawn.
How to aerate your lawn?
Following guidelines will help you know what’s the best possible way of aerating your lawn.
- If there is absolutely no moisture out there in the lawn, there is no way you can aerate it in a better way. However, if luckily, it rains a day or two before you plan to aerate, that would be great for your aeration session as you’ll have to make less effort.
- Aeration machines aren’t as large in size as they seem to be from their names. So, you’ve to make some extra effort to ensure that you aerate the entire lawn. Also, you can make use of them to their full. Don’t hesitate to use these machines for longer periods of time continuously since they can perform well under immense pressure.
- Once you’re done with the aeration of your lawn, don’t forget to let the soil dry. Don’t let the soil plugs break down in rain as that may not be really beneficial for the growth of your lawn. After aeration gets completed, start fertilizing your lawn and make the required repairs done.
- Some people don’t find it good to use herbicides while aerating the lawn while others are in favor of it. But the fact is that most people use it in order for the better growth of grass in the lawn which adds to the beauty of it.
- Once you complete one aeration session, plan the next one in the meantime so that you may not see your lawn losing its charm in a matter of days or months.
If you aerate your lawn after regular intervals of time, you’ll see the grass growing faster. Aeration is an important thing to do, particularly when you don’t feel like the grass in your lawn is growing at a better rate. All you need to do is to use some equipment and run them over your lawn once a month or thrice a year. The result would be a better, lusher, and more attractive lawn than what you could ever think of. For more information regarding the aeration of your lawn, you may call at 505-271-8419.